Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Inspiring Photos Of Refugee Girls Dressed As What They Want To Be When They're Older

“When I was younger, my brother always told me that a girl can’t be a pilot, but I knew deep down this is what I wanted to do.”

The United Nations has registered almost 4.6 million refugees from Syria since fighting broke out in the country several years ago. Of those, almost 2.4 million are 17 and under.

The United Nations has registered almost 4.6 million refugees from Syria since fighting broke out in the country several years ago. Of those, almost 2.4 million are 17 and under.

Muhammad Hamed / Reuters

The project, called "Vision Not Victim," saw the girls draw pictures of what they want to be when they grew up, now that they have escaped war.

Each girl then participated in a photo shoot based on the drawings to pose as their grown-up selves. They were even given copies of the photos to show their families and keep with them as a reminder of their goals.

Here are some of the photos, along with words from the girls writing as their future selves:

Fatima, 12, future teacher

Fatima, 12, future teacher

Meredith Hutchison/International Rescue Committee

"In this image, it is the early morning and I am waiting in my classroom for my students to arrive. I teach younger children to read and write Arabic. I am a very compassionate and kind person, and so a perfect teacher. I am strict, but I go out of my way to gently help those students who are having difficulties."


View Entire List ›



SOURCE: BuzzFeed

No comments:

Post a Comment